Winter, starting week of January 7, 2019
Thursdays, 10 weeks
6 to 8 p.m.
Chattanooga School of Language
What information will be covered during this course?
Novice High (A2)
(approximately 120-180 hours)
This class builds on the skills acquired at the Novice Low and Mid courses and continues to focus on the acquisition of high frequency words (the most frequently used words in a language), common structures and cognates (if applicable in target language). In this class, students will expand their vocabulary and be able to express themselves in everyday situations.
Review the Proficiency Guidelines (click here) for this level and learn what you can do with language at this level in termsÂ of speaking, writing, listening, and reading in real-world situations and non-rehearsed context.
Competencies acquired at this level: (according to ACTFL)
- I can identify the topic and some isolated facts from simple sentences in informational texts. [Interpretive]
- I can identify the topic and some isolated elements from simple sentences in short ï¬ctional texts. [Interpretive]
- I can understand familiar questions and statements from simple sentences in conversations. [Interpretive]
- I can request and provide information by asking and answering practiced and some original questions on familiar and everyday topics, using simple sentences most of the time. [Interpersonal]
- I can interact with others to meet my basic needs related to routine everyday activities, using simple sentences and questions most of the time. [Interpersonal]
- I can express, ask about, and react to preferences, feelings, or opinions on familiar topics, using simple sentences most of the time and asking questions to keep the conversation on topic. [Interpersonal]
- I can present personal information about my life and activities, using simple sentences most of the time. [Presentational]
- I can express my preferences on familiar and everyday topics of interest, using simple sentences most of the time. [Presentational]
- I can present on familiar and everyday topics, using simple sentences most of the time. [Presentational]
Any additional materials for this course will be ordered for you by CSL and given to you in class.