Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I know my level of proficiency and which group class will be best for me?
All of our classes are taught to a certain set of standards and proficiency levels, as laid out by the ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages) and CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) proficiency scales. By the end of your 20-hour class, you should achieve the competencies assigned to the appropriate level of language proficiency.For more information on the proficiency scales, click here and here.
Will I be fluent after I completed a 10-week group course?
First of all, we love your enthusiasm. Just remember that true fluency and cultural understanding can take years to master. It’s like learning a musical instrument, and it’s a forever journey.
All of our classes are taught to a certain set of standards and proficiency levels, as laid out by the ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages) and CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) proficiency scales. By the end of your 20-hour class, you should achieve the competencies assigned to the appropriate level of language proficiency. For more information on the proficiency scales, click here and here. These standards are to be used as over-arching guides for expectations along the way. Motivation and self-study play a large role in the rate of one’s progression and mastery of a language.
Where are classes held?
Most classes are held at our language school (4122 North Access Road in Chattanooga, TN 27415), but we also teach a lot of classes off site at various locations. If you sign up for a class that is at another location, the address will be listed in the class information online, which you’ll see when you register.
I signed up for a group class, but it didn’t meet minimum enrollment. What happens now?
Our group classes require at least 3 students, unless otherwise listed. CSL reserves the right to cancel a class if fewer than 3 students register (for our group classes). If the class doesn’t meet minimum enrollment, we will let you know immediately and email you with your options:
- We can put your payment toward a series of private, one-on-one lessons. Please know that there is a price difference in the cost of group classes and private lessons.
- We can hold your spot and payment until the next round of classes.
- We can refund your payment in full.
Do I get a refund if I stop coming to my group class once it’s started?
If you have registered for the class and want to withdraw, you must do so at least 7 days prior to the start of the class in order to receive a refund. Please note that NO refunds will be issued for student withdrawals once classes have started or for missed classes.
When you register for a class with CSL,you are complying with the policies listed on our website. Please be sure to review those in case you forgot!
If have to miss a group class, how can I make up the material?
Please contact your teacher, and s/he will email you the material that was covered in class. We cannot do make-up lessons for you if you miss a group class.
What if I have to cancel a private lesson?
24-hour cancellation policy (applicable for private or semi-private lessons only):
Our teachers pour much time and effort into preparing their lessons for you. Therefore, if you are enrolled in private or semi-private lessons, we request at least 24 hours notice for cancellations. If you cancel a lesson with less than 24 hour notice, you are still charged for the lesson, and our teacher is not required to make up the class.
What materials or supplies do I need for classes?
When you register for a class on our website, you’ll see any additional materials required for that class. We try our hardest to keep the cost of any additional books as low as possible. That’s the beauty of using the methods that we do ”“ we focus on communication of the language and not just memorization of verb charts and vocabulary lists.
Are you intrigued yet?! Ask us more”¦
What’s included in the cost of a series of group classes?
- An interactive, hands-on language learning experience in which students are immersed in the language as well as culture.
- A team of passionate and knowledgeable language teachers who is committed to upholding the highest standards of research-based Second Language Acquisition methods, using sustainable best practices, immersion-based learning techniques, and experiential, participatory communication processes.
- Small classroom setting with approximately 3-12 students in a group class. With this size, students receive the structure and personal interaction they need to achieve their personal and professional goals in language acquisition and cultural understanding.
- Access to additional language learning resources to help support and facilitate students’ continued learning both inside and outside of class.
- Free Wifi
- Cup(s) of fresh coffee or tea
(Often teachers bring typical food and drink to use as a part of the class.)
- Pocket folder with some notebook paper to get you started.
- Various writing utensils of your choice
- Books are purchased separately. Visit the class information page on our website to see if a book is required for that particular class.
Do I have to pay the class fee all at once?
We do require payment before the first day of class to ensure your seat in the class.
However, if you need to make payment arrangements, we want to work with you so that you’ll be able to take the class and learn a new language. Contact us to learn about your options.
The group class schedule doesn’t work with mine. Can I enroll in private lessons or have a customized class just for me and my friends/family/colleagues?
The answer is yes, definitely.
We understand that the days and times of our group classes don’t always align with everyone’s schedule. We’re sorry. However, you still have options. We can work around your specific schedule and create a series of private lessons that meet your needs and interests. If you enjoy the group class setting and learning alongside your peers, we can create customized group or semi-private (2 students) classes just for your circle of friends. We’ll determine how many hours you want to take, what days/times you’re available, and then get your class on our calendar!
If you have additional questions, please Contact Us.